Punjabi kadhi chawal is staple meal for punjabi homes. This is most popular dish in north india. Yogurt and besan based curry with whole spices tadka , pakoras are drenched over it .
I grew up to eating kadhi from my nani’s and mom’s hand . I have big fan of kadhi same as my kids , they love kadhi made by me and their nani’s hand .
In my childhood I always asked to my nani what does curry means? She always replies “ jo kadar kadar k bhane , oske kadhi kehte hai “ .
The yogurt and besan is main ingredient of kadhi ,heat mustard oil and tempered with hing , meethi seeds , dhaniya seeds , turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Add water slowly as kadhi starts getting thick , cook until it thickens and no raw smells of besan . The slower the kadhi cooks , the superior in taste !
some Tips to make best kadhi
- Use sour yogurt or curd , it makes kadhi tangy . That what punjabi kadhi is .
- Add more and more water. As we simmer kadhi for long time to develop his flavours or taste , it becomes thick so add water time to time to maintain his consistency.
- 3 cup Yogurt
- 1 Cup Besan
- 12 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- a pinch of hing
- 1 Tsp Meethi seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Dhaniya seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Chopped
- 2 Green chillies Split
- 1/2 Tsp Red chilli Powder
- a few curry leaves
- 2 Dry chillies
- 1 Cup Besan
- 1/2 Cup Onions thin slices
- 1/2 Cup Potato Fine chopped
- 1 Green chillies Fine chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Anardana seed Pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1/3 Tsp Turmeric powder
- In a large bowl or vessel, Add yogurt and besan together. Whisk until combined well and lump free.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt , combine well.
- Put up vessel on flame. Add half of the water in it . On other hand prepare tadka.
- Heat Mustard oil in a pan . Once it heated proper ( raw smells goes) . Add hing and meethi seeds . When seeds start turning Brown then add coriander seeds. Let splutter. Add dry chilli and curry leaves.
- Add ginger and green chilli and cook 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, Red chilli powder .
- Transfer this tempering in kadhi’s vessel . Stir continuously until it boil .
- Add remain water and simmer it on low flame untill it cooks completely.
- In bowl , add besan , onions, potato , salt , pomegranate seeds and coriander powder . Mixed well.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Add water in besan batter . It should not for running consistency or not too thick .
- Mixed the batter with using hand and start dropping batter into oil. Frying till golden brown and flip other side fry till golden brown.
- Take out on paper towel.
- Add pakora on kadhi before 15 minutes of serving.
- Add garam masala or coriander powder on kadhi . Tadaa!! It’s ready to serve.
- Serve hot Kadhi with hot steamy rice .