A flavourful staple food which every Punjabi grew up eating with. In this DHABBA style recipe, soaked dals and rajma are cooked in pressure cooker until soft.
The calcium and protein rich whole urad dal, rajma, ghee, tomato gravy and spices makes it wholesome, nutritious and simply irresistible. Because of its ease of preparation, wholesome goodness and flexibility in choosing locally grown lentils, it has become popular vegetarian dish in all parts of India with even few naming it as MAA KI DAL .
- 1 cup whole black gram sabut urad dal(soaked)
- 3 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/3 cup rajma (soaked )
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- water as needed
- salt as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1. Pick, rinse and soak sabut urad dal or whole black gram in plenty of water overnight.
2. To make maa di dal in a pressure cooker , bring 5 cups of water with a dash of salt, Cover and pressure cook for 30-40 minutes ,to the pressure settles check if the kali dal is completely cooked.
3. In a small pan , Heat the ghee . Add cumin seed and a Kashmiri mirch .
4. Add chopped onions and saute till they turn soft.
5. Next add chopped ginger garlic and slit green chilies. Saute till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and mix. Add all the spice powders and saute till tomatoes release fat from the sides.
7. Pour this tempering over the the dal and bring it to a boil. Simmer it for another 10-15 minutes.
8. Adjust consistency. Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Serve maa di dal hot.
9. Maa ki dal can be served with roti , rice , boondi raita and salad.