Gujarati cuisine is known to have a lot of flavourful and delightful snacks to offer, Dhokla is one of the specialities of Gujarati cuisine and is enjoyed as a breakfast or a snack . This is an easy-to-make snack recipe that can be prepared anytime and is best enjoyed with tempered or pan-fried green chillies. It’s a quick dish that can be prepared in just 30-minutes and requires ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen cabinet. It’s the most common type of dhokla that you will see anywhere. Their main ingredient is ,as the Khaman Dhokla is prepared using gram flour or besan. Khaman Dhokla is sweet and sour in taste. they are part of a culture that loves feeding people.
khaman dhokla was the very first recipe that I learned from my mom during my school days. Since then, it has been by far one of my favorite recipes, and I have been entertaining my family and friends for years.
Here is an easy way to make Khaman Dhokla, which is soft sponge and super in taste. I serve with spicy sour cherries chutney.
- 2 cups Gram flour(besan) sieved
- 1cup Yogurt (beaten)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ginger-chilli paste
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Soda bicarbonate
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp Oil
- 1tsp Ginger paste
- 2cups Cherries (halved)
- 1/4 cup Honey ( or any sugar substitute)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 Chilli ( green or red )
- 1/3 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3 tsp Cider vinegar
- 1tsp Oil
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
Some Tips and Tricks
• Start with a fresh batch of eno. The open pack or stale eno may result in flat dhoklas.
• A simple trick to a fluffy khaman – beat the batter well. The more you beat the batter; more air is incorporated in the batter, resulting in soft-spongy khaman. Just remember to beat the batter before adding eno.
• After adding Eno, don’t let the batter sit for a long while. Steam it right away.
- Follow these basic tricks correctly, and you are on your way to the most spongy dhokla.